First, I know being a "dog parent" is not the same as being a human's parent, but sometimes, I really want to hire a dog sitter and run away to a hotel for the day to get things done. Then, I remember that he is a dog, has a limited amount of time on this planet, and only wants love (and water and ball, but most importantly Papa, food may be optional).
Second, my mind has been racing with "teacher ideas" since June 19 when I woke up to board a plane to start summer in the Caribbean. I have three to do lists I know about, though I'm certain there's more somewhere around here. Josh (the aforementioned Papa and husband) works from home and Gibbs usually sleeps all day. Summer comes though and I am home, and thus able to provide 24/7 attention (except, I'm not).
This morning, I admittedly was not a fantastic "dog mom". I was gone yesterday morning/early afternoon and then when I got home, I had to keep working so my brain could settle. That means that today Gibbs is supposed to get a lot of attention (according to Gibbs). So! He whined until I woke up (slept in), he whined as I tried to get 20 minutes of work in (always working), but when I took him outside, he helped reframe my day/last days of summer.
"Stop.
Breathe.
Notice.
We have nowhere to be
Except here, next to this parked truck from Maryland
Staring at 495 and the dog park I should be taken to more often
Look, there's a patch of wildflowers I can only sniff from a distance
Because you don't want me to get bitten by a snake (I don't know what that is)
I was nice to the bumblebees today, did you see?
I didn't pee on them or try to eat them, you told me they are friends
And then had to tell me again later
I am sorry I do not kill the Spotted Lantern Flies when we are outside
I don't think I see them as well as you and they scare me when they fly in my face.
Lady who picks up my poop AKA "Mama" (weird that it sounds like Papa, no?)
Stop. Breathe. Notice.
There is time for everything else
Do you feel the breeze?
Do you smell what I smell as our noses sift the air for familiar scents?
Our time together is going to get shorter soon
I will whine when it is 4pm and you are not home like you should be
Papa will tell you I was a good boy, but I will be lonely as the old rhythm begins again
Pooper picker upper, I need you to stop, breathe, notice."
And I don't think Gibbs meant just on this one sniff walk,
I'm taking the lesson and planning to move intentionally through the days ahead.

Oh, what good advice Gibbs gave you, "Stop, breathe, notice." I laughed so hard about your exaggerated roles--Papa is the one that comes before food and you are the pooper picker upper. So funny. I like the photo because it shows you took time to read--or at least think about reading. Now there is a great stop, breathe, and notice activity.
ReplyDeleteAwwww! I love how Gibbs shared his perspective. This is a wonderful slice with advice we could all take to heart.
ReplyDeleteGIBBS IS one smart dog who clearly knows what is important in this life! Enjoy these last days and remember what must get done will get done!
ReplyDeleteYour dog added needed perspective that speaks to many of us- how lucky are you to have those reminders.
ReplyDelete